website-hit-counters.com
Provided by website-hit-counters.com site.

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Run for the Border, The Observer and Leisure Time???

Me and my favorite girl, have come from makin a run for the border at 2 am. Yep, we do this every Sunday, absolutely noo-body out around 3 to 4 am. Taco Bell's open till 4 am. Um um um! We keep the windows down, because "tacos and fire sauce not good for windows to be UP". I put mild sauce on Punkster's soft taco supremes. Why? Damn you ever been on the back end of a 55 lb dog who has taco's? She will eat absolutely anythang I eat! Somehow that don't sound quite right after thinkin on it! She be old with no appetite. I believe what is keepin her goin is fun stuff we still do together! If I eat it she wants it!

I'm tryin to warm myself up, hoping for something serious to write. I haven't taken my meds to keep what SERIOUS brain cells I might have a-goin!
   
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I have a character I call The Observer that I've created and want to write about. I've toyed rather loosely trying to launch him and am currently writing a story I'm considering calling,  The Lying, The Rich and The Train Station. Actually I've already written part of it, just waiting for the time to write some more. The Observer taps into Mother Nature wrath from his desire to correct the problems he witnesses on a daily basis. His observational skills in alliance with the power of Mother Nature to correct wrongs inflicted upon the common man. A modern day Vigilante of one with the power of Mother Nature, as she rights the wrongs!

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Once, Sunday's were beautifully simple, in the Heartland! Away from the big cities are small towns. From a few residents, to a few thousand, all joined by the rail road. These tracks don't run outside the towns, they run through the heart of  the community. Watching these mighty beast of burden day in and day out, hearing the rumbling and the rickety sounds they make exclusively was magnificent! Now add the blaring of the horn and the big one eyed monster up close at night, it's plum spectacular to a young child. It's the greatest show on earth! The Greatest Show on my tiny slab of Earth, beyond a shadow of a doubt. I have yet to see a movie, know nothing of the newsreels describing the world. Don't have a television set, they're still in their infancy. Only the largest metropolitan's had them, a rich man's toy! The fright of the dinosaur gives way to life's pulse of the outside world. The big black one eyed horse carries everything, everywhere, across America. Have a picnic in the park on Sunday watch the black beauties go by, count the cars watch the caboose go by and disappear to places far, far away, places you have yet to hear about.

Sunday's are for church, picnics, visiting family a leisurely drive through farm country. Leisure is the key word here, please focus on that! Long before shopping centers and mega, mega marts, was main street. From a hardware store, train depot and of course always a bank, to actual developed communities with churches and a State highway, long before the cement super highways of hell!

There was not one bit of commercial business done anywhere in the whole county on Sunday! Lord have mercy!!! That be within my lifetime in the Midwest. No I'm not talking 1900 baby! I'm talking 1950's.
Extraordinary, incomprehensible, leisure; free and unoccupied spare time!!! Whoa! Scarier than the first sighting of the mighty iron horse at night, belching smoke, horn blaring and one eye that lights up the night forever it seems!    

Where has the leisure time gone? That's the trouble in the fast paced world of everything happening all the time. There is no leisure time! Can't imagine a child today enjoying a picnic in a park, giving one thought of a train going by. Learning to count watching the mighty horse and the amount of cars it pulls, their too busy with electronic gizmos to occupy their minds. Sheesh, adults ain't no better! The train represents another nuisance a hold up in their busy schedule that leads to nowhere!

A FEW THOUGHTS THAT ARE ON MY MIND... IF I DON'T WRITE THEM DOWN THEY'RE LOST FOREVER... HOPE YOU ENJOYED THEM AS MUCH AS I DID. KINDA SEEMS LIKE A DIARY IN A WAY DON'T IT!!!       goodnight wherever yee may be... YOUR FRIEND HERE AT GLEN VIEW    

1 comment:

  1. This is one of the reasons I like reading your blog. You can be both serious, and humorous on any given day, but you don't take yourself too seriously . You are just down home "REAL" .

    I often lament the fact that life has become so fast paced that people don't take the time to just "live", to enjoy each day.
    I too remember the days when nothing was open on Sundays. I think families were closer back then and society was better off. I grew up in Indiana, but I lived for over 20 years in South Carolina and up until just a couple of years ago they still did not allow most businesses to open on Sunday. Now they can be open, but they can only sell food and medicine or necessities until after 1 PM. (at least in most counties).

    Gosh, you put a LOT in this one post. A lot I can remember, a lot I can relate to and a lot I could speak to, but I won't hijack your post by writing a full post in the comments !! Hahaha

    I will say this....... EXCELLENT POST today Glen aka IM Confused :-)

    ReplyDelete