website-hit-counters.com
Provided by website-hit-counters.com site.

Friday, June 13, 2014

The Portal!

I just watched another silent movie called "City Lights" made in 1931 with Charlie Chaplin. Can you imagine in the early days of movies going to a theatre and watching one for the first time? We cannot they've been around us so long. The simplicity of silent movies still intrigues me! Maybe it's because of my hearing problem, no I believe it's more than that!

Once upon a time over half a century ago a young boy was allowed to go into the local movie house. The young had been by this magnificent structure hundreds of times in his parents car. It lies in the heart of the city like a beacon. At nighttime it was always a glowing with different color neon lights. WOW! was all the boy could imagine, every time. Well one early Saturday morning in the summertime they were showing movies for the children and I was allowed to go with my older cousins. I cannot remember being any more thrilled than that day.

( I honestly can say, that, even to this day and I hope to fully explain the WHY of it! )

The movie was "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea" starring Kirk Douglas. The ticket booth was outside back then. You walk through two sets of beautifully finished, wooden doors with a round pane of glass about midway up. I remember that round pane of glass passionately. Today I view that as a portal into anther world, that saved me many a times, a home away from home for many years to come.

I wish to use them round portal windows and travel back, relive the importance and capture with all my senses as I become a 12 year old for one final time!!!!

At approximately this time I was old enough to get a paper route, my first real job. The theater back then showed a film Sunday thru Wednesday and a different one Thursday thru Saturday. Since I was making my own money I visited that theater twice a week for many a years. How many different movies would that be say in five years? Over 500 wow!!!

The theater was down-town as everything was back then. Originally built in 1895, it was a majestic old building still around but looks like the local politicians are eyeing it for the wrecking ball. I can only hope as it sits in the heart of town, here in the heart of Midwest, someone with a heart will save it. A lot of cities are undergoing rebuilding efforts just as mine, well . . . one can hope, can't one?

At the age of 12, I pretty much could do as I please, earning my own money, taking care of my chores, times were so much different, we never locked the doors to our house, crime was pretty much nonexistent! I know that's hard to believe but true. My parents knew I was at the matinees on weekends and that was that!

The old movie house had a smell all its own. Walking thru the two sets of heavy wooden doors was always exciting, then the smell of popcorn, whow-wee!!! I'd buy me a bag of popcorn, a three musketeers bar and a Coca-Cola. When the theater lights dimmed and the movie started it was always magical. EVERY TIME IT WAS MAGIC!!! Any problems a boy may of had vanished for awhile. No matter what twice a week was special. The boy was completely lost in another world, a portal where imagination, comedy, THE BOY WAS THE MOVIE!

I use to enjoy movies a great deal until about 20 years ago. I still watch one occasionally here at home, haven't been to a theater of any kind for 20 years. What once was magic disappeared behind  surround sound, special effects, killing, cussing, too much of too much, sameness!!!

WELL WHEN THE LITTLE BOY NEEDED IT THE MOST-EST, IT WAS THERE. I'M THANKFUL FOR THAT, EXTREMELY THANKFUL.

I HAVE A FRIEND THAT BRINGS ME MANY MOVIES, I DON'T WATCH THEM I GIVE THEM BACK AND TELL HIM THANKS.

AT THE BEGINNING OF THIS POST I MENTIONED THE MOVIE "CITY LIGHTS, " I ENJOYED IT, ANOTHER MOVIE CALLED "SPARROWS" MADE IN 1925 WITH MARY PICKFORD I ENJOYED. WHILE IN THE HOSPITAL A COUPLE YEARS AGO THERE WAS A MARATHON OF THE "LITTLE RASCALS" SILENTS FROM MID 20'S. ALL THE NURSES DOCTORS, ETC. STOPPED AND WATCHED . . . AND . . . LAUGHED! ALL DID!!!

I WISH TO BE ENTERTAINED, TOO LAUGH, TOO CRY,   "" TOO FUCKING FEEL SOMETHING!!!""

I DON'T FEEL AS DEEPLY AS I ONCE DID ABOUT CERTAIN THINGS, MAYBE GROWING OLD CHANGES MORE THAN THE BODY?

I STILL BELIEVE IN HONESTY, HARD WORK, MY IMAGINATION, LOVE, FAMILY A GOOD PUPPY DOG, GOOD FOOD, A GOOD STORY! I'M A SIMPLE MAN AND AIM TO STAY THAT WAY. I'D BE HAPPY IF A SILENT MOVIE WAS BEING PLAYED AT MY FUNERAL, "THE LITTLE RASCALS." DON'T WANT NOBODY CRYING FOR ME!!!

I'D BE SOO FERKING HAPPY GOING WHEREVER I BE A GOIN,'  IF . . . I COULD HAVE MY FUNERAL IN THAT OLD MOVIE HOUSE, A SHOWING "20,000LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA"  THAT'S WHERE A YOUNG POOR BOY WITH PROBLEMS AT HOME, LEARNED TO REALLY LIVE!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment