website-hit-counters.com
Provided by website-hit-counters.com site.

Sunday, June 22, 2014

A Ridin', Down Mainstreet!

The first thing on my mind tonight as in 3:30 am is . . . I just love looking at the map of the world and seeing the countries with hits fer simple 'ol me, ya-hoo! Thank you from my old heart!

It was very warm, so I decide to take a ride in my Mercury Mountaineer. (A big SUV.) A big un, and an old un, like a me! What I like 'bout this time of the year even late at night I roll them winders down and feel the breeze, feels  . . .  so good!   ( Yes I meant to say winders, O-K-A-Y? I gotta me me, I gotta be Me!!!)   Drove through the city, wherst, I was bornst, and raised, smackdab downtown. My city was beautifully lite up and clean, I could not get over how clean MAIN STREET was!! Glory be! I was having flashbacks the way it was over half a century ago. Gave me goose bumps, yes it did.

Where once was Service Station on every other corner, now are Banks!

Once upon a time you could get 'service,'  with a smile. Now you bank on line, and smile at your ATM whilst it penetrates into yer mind!

Where once was major retailers, now sits stories, of automobiles piled high, with them automobiles just a waitin'! Apartments galore, for them Brainiac's, in Engineering! New stores of all kinds to entice the shoppers of the world,  "Come spend your money here?"   to spend money. AH! THE ALMIGHTY MONEY! YEP! THAT'S . . .  WHAT IT'S, ALL ABOUT!

I'M NOT HAPPY! I'M NOT SAD! THAT'S THE WAY IT HAS TO BE! RIGHT? EITHER THAT OR BECOME A GHOST TOWN!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

These thoughts were a streaming through my head, as I drive down Washington Street of my home city.

First like I mentioned above, cleanliness, I was taken back, and a golden shine of street lights, beautiful! So much newness added, it leaves a lonely glance of what it once was. Good or bad, a rejuvenation that tells the story of the world and my   "Norman Rockwell Hometown."

Get away from MAIN STREET say and visit one of them gigantic big box stores, finds a street sweeper every night sweeping up trash from, the ten acre parking lot!

The difference brings many tears to the old Indian's eyes, and mine!

Once everything turned away from MAIN STREET for the suburbs. There has always been houses around the city extending outward from the rich Bankers to the poor. Shopping Centers took away MAIN STREET.

A new Mall for MAIN STREET was built as a savior for downtown. Worked for awhile til, twenty years later A Multi Mighty Mall was built. Lordy, Lordy, can't compete with developers with a gazillion dollars. Was the fanciest Mall in all the land to regular folk! Every shop was full! Shops we poor ones never heard of! Twenty years later the Gigantium Mall sits in bankruptcy!!!

One BIG, BIG, BIG BOX STORE has two Super Duper Stores in the Suburbs here. They were never part of downtown, they've always been the   """Suburb's."""

Around the Town Square with the historic magical old fashioned Courthouse with a clock 10 feet round, still stands Mightily And  Forever Taller! The Lighthouse still sends out the beckoning calls
to one and all. The All, now being people of the world, rather than a small Midwestern mostly German immigrants of farmers and factories.

I may never get around to the entire thoughts that scrambled in me mind, flashing like the many neon lights from the taverns, that once filled MAIN STREET. That's a story for another day I've touched upon in earlier posts.   ( I'll give you a wee hint, wee Germans, love our beer! )

I GET A PRESCRIPTION FILLED AT 1: AM FROM A BEAUTIFUL OLDER WOMAN, WHO SPOKE BEAUTIFUL ENGLISH, FROM INDIA. 

((( DARN, I CANNOT UNDERSTAND HER.! HER ENGLISH IS TOO PROPER! )))

DROVE TO MY FAVORITE CONVENIENT STORE ALONG THE INTERSTATE, PUMPED ME SOME GASOLINE, BOUGHT SOMETHING TO DRINK.

AT 3: am, ON SUNDAY MORN, AT ONE LOCAL CONVENIENT STORE, ( MY FAV ) I SEE PEOPLE REPRESENTING SEVERAL COUNTRIES! IS IT REAL? IN A MILLION YEARS GROWING UP HERE IN THE HEARTLAND OF THE MIGHTY MIDWEST, OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, NEVER . . .  WOULD I EVER . . .  OF THOUGHT SUCH A THING POSSIBLE!  NO SIR!, NO WAY, NO HOW!  

As I sit at my desk in sixth grade studying History, a young boy could not grasp the magnitude of looking at the map OF the world! There was only a few black families in my town. We'd see migrant farm workers in the summer.

ME SEEING PEOPLE FROM OTHER COUNTRIES WAS AS MINIMAL AS THE CHARCTER JIMMY STEWART PLAYED IN  "IT'S A WONDEFUL LIFE'. A GETTIN' OUT OF HIS TOWN!
WASN'T IT POTTERSVILLE?

"TIMES! THEY ARE A CHANGIN'!"

"YEP! THAT BE FER SURE!"

WE CANNOT TURN BACK TIME, NOR HOLD TIGHTLY ONTO YESTER-YEAR!

WHY I CHOOSE TO WRITE THIS TODAY IS SIMPLE!!!  A RIDE DOWN MAIN STREET DONE THE TRICK!

LIVIN' FER TODAY, MEANS HOLDIN' ON TO THE PAST, WISELY!   (((goodnight my friends, no matter where yee hang yer hat!!!)))

No comments:

Post a Comment