website-hit-counters.com
Provided by website-hit-counters.com site.

Thursday, January 23, 2014

RESPONSIBILITY

This is what, I have on my mind, the last few days. What does the word responsibility mean to you? That word in itself seems to carry more than a lot of letters. Sure enough, and many syllables for this country boy!

Why is this word stuck in my brain, like a song you can't get out. I associate this word with, rules, work ethics, having mature grown up qualities. Responsibility is not assigned to adults as they turn 18 years old. Nothing magical like happens at that age that makes one an adult. You do not wake up on that day and feel any different than the day before. The law may say you're an adult. you may be able to vote, drink, die for your country, but does responsibility take hold and guide you for the rest of your life?

Sure it does you can go out and get drunk, are you being responsible. You, and your Buds, go celebrate and wrap a car around a tree. Is that responsibility?

This is a true story. I knew a guy (I'll call him Guy for reference.) who spent time in prison. He was a paramedic for the Fire Department who killed his best friend. His best friend also a paramedic. Both left the bar in different vehicles. His friend was on a motorcycle. The friend stopped at a stop sign at night after leaving the bar, and had his lights off.  Guy came the same way but failed to stop at the stop sign, running over his best friend. Such a sad, tragic turn of events wouldn't you say?

How would responsibility have altered this event? Firemen and Paramedics should know better right? Of course! Lack of responsibility does not come more personal than this! Two lives shattered, in their early twenty's, one dead, one sent to prison for manslaughter . . . of his best friend!

Guy told me his story 21 years ago as I drove him home. His drivers license at that time had not been reinstated. I doubt he'll ever drive again. He lost his friend, spent time in prison and he's wife was divorcing him at the time I knew him. One hell of a nice guy, was Guy. Instead of a solid future he was devastated and will live with the responsibility, or lack of, that night. He must live carrying inside the responsibility of his actions. The last time I talked to him he was heading back upstate to live and work for his parents, who own a restaurant.

He paid the state for his actions and will hold himself accountable the rest of his life.

This little story I have completely forgotten, until I sat down, and started this post. I find this eerily amazing, because I have not thought of him but maybe a few times after he went back upstate, that would of been 1993. I had no idea this word would take me there. I find it good and bad. Good to be reminded of him, but sad to relive what he told me.

Responsibility in my opinion is an unknown word in todays vocabulary. I see the lack there of, too often. I know not why, but am deeply saddened by it. I think I'll end this post on that note.
########################################################################## 
                                                        OPINION
THIS POST HAS THROWN ME A CUREVBALL. RESPONSIBILITY, IS A LEARNED TRAIT! ACCEPTING ACCOUNTABILITY OF ONE'S ACTIONS, IS DISAPPEARING. LAWS CANNOT LEGISLATE MORALS, VALUES, RESPONSIBILITY, THAT SHOULD BE ACQUIRED BY ADULTHOOD. AGE CARRIES NO VALUE IN THIS EQUATION. LEADERS, MANAGERS, EVERYONE WHO CARRIES RESPONSIBILITY, OWES IT TO BE FAIRLY, CARRIED OUT! THAT'S WHERE THE PROBLEM LIES. IRRESPONSIBILITY, IS TOO EASY, AND SO MUCH LESS BURDENSOME. RESPONSIBILITY . . . ONLY IN MY DREAMS BABY!!!            Glen,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

1 comment:

  1. Great post Glen .

    I think responsibility should be taught from an early age so by the time one is an adult, they have some understanding of what it means to be responsible.

    ReplyDelete