website-hit-counters.com
Provided by website-hit-counters.com site.

Thursday, January 3, 2013

WHEN WILL... ENOUGH BE ENOUGH?

I watched many old television programs over the holidays. I reckon watching Its A Wonderful Life done somethun... to me old brain! I used to watch that program every Christmas Eve. I bought it, a quarter century ago. That would put the date 1988. Good golly, sounds so much older, if I use quarter century, don't it? Anyhow, I haven't watched it, in over 10 years.

I splurged for Christmas! Yes I did! Bought me and the Missus a big screen T.V. I was still using one that was over 20 years old, one of them prehistoric tube type!  Oh yeah! I set this once new, state of the art on the stand, when I was much younger, and could lift it! I replaced this 25 inch model with a 40 inch flat one. Um, um, um, this skinny ass flat one didn't weigh much more than the remote on my old un!

I got me some new glasses bout the time I got the new big screen...DAMN! Reminded me of the first time I was at a Drive-In Theatre!

I give more for that tube T. V. than I did for the new flat one. When they say flat, they mean flat don't they?

DAMN, they make them suckers up to 6 fricking feet? Heavens to Betsy, that be BIG!!! Well I suppose if you have a couple youngins, it be cheap entertainment. Rent a dozen movies per weekend at one of them red boxes, blue boxes, whatever, buy a case o, sodie pop, some microwave buttered popcorn, a large bag o, M and M's and they can have a party every weekend!

A smart mom can send her hubby over to 5 times divorced brother-in-law Jimmy Ray's house on Sunday for N.F.L Football.

Dag gone it, I got all sidetracked! I had me an idea. Yes I did! I plum forgot about it, as I got to rambling!

I bet yer wondering what is the mother going to do? Who cares, she's got some peace and quiet! Read a good book, put her feet up and do nuttin, that be nothing!

OKAY, WHILST I WAS WATCHING THEM OLD SERIES FROM BACK IN THE 60'S AND 70'S, THEM CARS LOOKED SO BIG AND OLD, THERE WAS TYPEWRITERS, IMAGINE THAT! THEY TALKED INTO THESE THINGS WITH CORDS HOOKED TO THEM, CALLED TELEPHONES! EVERYTHANG... LOOKED SO, SO. "STRANGE!"

Well anyhow, can you imagine, Superman going into a phone booth in 1970 and a time warp jumps him to 2013!

He would be stuck forever, flying around inside them fiber optic cables! He could not get out to use all them super powers!

Imagine Telly Savalas of Kojak television show, going into a building in 1970 and coming back out, only it's now 2013. He would look around at people poking the hell out of these little plastic hand held gadgets. or talking, with these things held up to their ears. He'd swallow his lollipop and choke to death!

Well, I watched those old shows, and they show their age! But they were entertaining then!!!

I won't be around in 40 years, I can't imagine, and don't want too!!!

There was a point, and it simply is... our minds must be occupied, whether it be the mind numbing numbness of 3 channels, from rabbit ears, or outside antenna, to the information at our fingertips every minute of every day to the world, and the information overload of the galaxy, to the latest virtual world, 3 D extravaganza!

WHEN WILL ENOUGH BE ENOUGH, OR WILL IT EVER?
 
TIME HAS PASSED ME BY AT WARP SPEED!

BUT I CAN REREAD, THE SAME BOOK I READ IN 1970 AND ENJOY IT ALL OVER AGAIN, LIKE READING IT FOR THE FIRST TIME!

I have no new years resolution! I do have an idea, I wish to share with you, as I reread a book, and write a book report as I go, my way! Whether it be five pages, or a chapter. I enjoyed this book so much I wish to revisit this extraordinary book. Mark Twain is my favorite author, and the writer of the book, I wish to re-examine, is his favorite author. The book is Crime And Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky. 

I'M NOT SURE WHERE THIS WILL TAKE ME. THIS IS AN UNDERTAKING I FEEL PASSIONATE ABOUT! SO SIT BACK AND GO WHERE THIS OLD MAN HAS NOT, GONE BEFORE      

1 comment:

  1. It's A Wonderful Life is one of my all time favorite movies and I have watched it too many times to count. I didn't get to watch it this past Christmas with all that was going on, but I have it on DVD and I may just sit down and watch it this weekend now that things have slowed down a bit.
    It is funny how things have changed. All the new technology, some good, some bad. Personally I long for the old days, but they are not coming back and I wonder what the future holds for my kids and grandkids...

    To answer your question , when will enough be enough? Never....... people will keep wanting more and more, but eventually I think it will come to an end, a not very pleasant one at that.

    Good for you that you want to read Crime and Punishment again. Very good book and I look forward to hearing more of your thoughts on it. And thank you for inspiring me to read it myself this past year :-)

    Have a nice weekend dear Glen.

    C

    ReplyDelete