website-hit-counters.com
Provided by website-hit-counters.com site.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

HUMILITY

          Humility, I look it up in my old, New Webster Vest Pocket Edition Dictionary "1980" copyright. I absolutely love that little gem of another era. It takes me back to the time when my teacher was explaining to my class how to use the dictionary. I cannot remember for the life of me what grade it was or the teacher. The teacher is showing us and I'm thinking, how can I look it up if I can't spell the dang thing? I look around the classroom and apparently I'm not the only one that doesn't understand. You can see the confusion in all their eyes except for Elizabeth the brain. My good friend Charlie is sitting next to me and I swear I saw question marks in his eyes.
          If I knew how to spell the word, most likely I would know the meaning! Teachers sure know how to confuse the class, except the brain, of course. "Let's start with simple words,"  said the teacher. The whole class knows them simple words but when it came to my turn the teacher turns it up a notch and gave me a two syllable word. I'm shaking already as I walk to the front of the class. My word is moisture, I get to mo, I find most, then my mind decides to take a break. I'm stumped my finger won't walk, all that learning has failed me. I feel the sweat forming on my forehead. My mind flashes to Moe of the Three Stooges, I've got it now, the words go from mod to mog, there ain't no moe. I sense the whole class heating me up from their burning eyes. I feel moisture running down to my face (I can sure make it but I can't spell it.) I see Moe again, only this time I think Moe is sure funny. I look down a few more words in the dictionary and find moire. That ain't the way to spell more, and I'll be dang, right below moire is moist, then moisten and guess what was after that, you're right, moisture. I made it through my first challenge of the dictionary thanks to Moe of the Three Stooges.
          English from that day on was my most feared class. I have never comprehended all them dad burn rules, tenses and such nonsense, they make me tense. Those adjectives, verbs, pronouns, nouns make my skin crawl with the he-be-ge-bees. Now that I 'm attempting to write proper I can feel myself in front of the class with all eyes causing moisture to run down my face as if it was only yesterday. Only at my age you add stress, moisture running down my face, somebody may mistake those signals as signs that I'm having a heart attack! I would feel foolish if I ask my Doctor for nerve pills to calm me down so I can write. He would probably inform me that I need to find a new hobby. Unlike a friend of mine who took creative writing classes. I created many excuses to get out of English classes. One would think think since I loved to read growing up I would learn proper English growing up, wouldn't ya! wrong. I would get away from the tension of English class by immersing myself into an adventure book like Journey to the Center of the Earth or laugh at Huck Finn.
          Humility is the state of being humble. Humble means modest, low in rank. My little dictionary has very small print, remember that! It must be the lowest in rank of dictionaries. I was focusing my bifocals on humility and the definition was "moistness." Suddenly I'm having flashbacks and sweat starts to form on my forehead. I'm back in grade school and tense. Moe, please help me once again, I move my finger down a mite and adjust my bifocals, dang it I was looking at "humidity."

I HAVE BEEN HUMBLED AT MY AGE BY LEARNING. I FEEL AS LOW IN RANK AS ONE CAN BE, BUT DAD-BURN IT YOU'RE NEVER TO OLD TO LEARN. I DECIDED THAT I'M GOING TO LEARN OR DIE TRYING.

THIS POST COME FROM ME LOOKING UP ONE WORD HUMILITY. I'M NOT SURE WHERE THE REST OF THIS STORY CAME FROM BUT I DO NEED THE PRACTICE, UNTIL NEXT TIME. HAPPY TRAILS TO YOU, UNTIL WE MEET AGAIN.

No comments:

Post a Comment